Margaret Widdemer: The Jester

I have known great gold Sorrows:   
Majestic Griefs shall serve me watchfully   
Through the slow-pacing morrows:   
I have knelt hopeless where sea-echoing   
Dim endless voices cried of suffering   
Vibrant and far in broken litany:   
Where white magnolia and tuberose hauntingly   
Pulsed their regretful sweets along the air-—
All things most tragical, most fair,   
Have still encompassed me . . .   

I dance where in the screaming market-place   
The dusty world that watches buys and sells,   
With painted merriment upon my face,   
Whirling my bells,   
Thrusting my sad soul to its mockery.

I have known great gold Sorrows . . .   
Shall they not mock me, these pain-haunted ones,   
If it shall make them merry, and forget   
That grief shall rise and set   
With the unchanging, unforgetting suns   
Of their relentless morrows?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diego Rivera: The Flower Carrier

Anne Brontë: the sister who got there first

The Bookish Pleasures Of A Henry James Yearbook